- KiTTY home
- Operating Systems
- Open Source
KiTTY is a SSH and telnet client for Windows, which is based on the popular PuTTY.
Linux and Mac OS X Operating Systems include the functionality to connect to a SSH server without the need of installing any additional software. However Windows, does not have any tool to connect to SSH. That is why PuTTY was created, to allow SSH connections, and to facilitate the handling and organization of created sessions. This program is updated frequently, but there are certain features that are not included.
KiTTY has all the features of PuTTY, and it also adds some new ones. KiTTY is based on PuTTY 0.63 . So we can connect using SSH, telnet or computer serial port.
Some of the improvements that brings this software are:
- Data Portability: we will be able to save all sessions that we have created, and the program configuration, and use them in another PC. This function is ideal to store all the data relative to our habitual connections, and carry them in a pendrive or USB Storage.
- Sessions Organization: this allows us to create folders where we can store the sessions. We can create and organize the folders to our taste. For example, we can create the folders: Work, Home and Collage. And in each of them store the sessions that we use. By accessing the appropriate folder, we will see only the sessions that belong to that folder.
- Automatic Connections to SSH and telnet servers: with this option, we can save the user name and password of the sessions, and access them without having to enter any type of data. Very useful to quickly connect to the desired server.
- Automatic command sending at the login: we can set up a command that will be executed right after the session start. We can schedule a pause of X seconds before the command will run automatically.
- Keyboard Shortcuts for launch certain commands: with this option we can set up a key combination to execute a command. For example, if we usually access on a regular basis to the MySQL database, we can configure the key combination “Ctrl+Alt+M” to run the command “mysql -h localhost -u user -ppass db”.
- Execution of Local Scripts on the remote server: if we have a Script saved on our PC, and we want to run it on the remote machine, it will not be need to upload the script or recreate it on the remote server. By pressing the keys “Ctrl+F2” a file browser will appear where we can select the script that we be run on the remote server.
- Transparency in the console windows: this function is very useful and common in other remote connection programs. We will be able to set the level of transparency of the command window, in such a way that we will be able to see everything that is located behind the connection window, and, at the same time, type commands on the remote server.
- Write Protection: this function prevents to type any key. Very useful if we are running some important command that can be interrupted if some key is pressed accidentally.
- Always visible: this option allows the window of the session to be always in the foreground, and so we can take a look on what is happening in the open session.
This program is without a doubt ideal for system administrators that has Windows as their primary Operating System. It is free, simple to use and with lots of useful functionality.