- PuTTY home
- Operating Systems
- Open Source
PuTTY is a program that allows us to connect to remote machines using SSH, Telnet or Rlogin protocols.
To connect to servers using SSH protocol is a very simple thing in Linux operating systems, however in Windows, it will not include any type of tool to connect to servers using the communication protocol SSH.
The SSH protocol is used to connect several machine safely, because the data that travels between the machines are encrypted. That is why it is very convenient to use this protocol to connect to remote servers.
PuTTY is a simple program that allows us to connect via SSH to other machines.To access other computers using SSH, we have to configure the program with the required connection parameters (host, port, user, password, etc.).
Once the connection is made, it will display a window in terminal mode, we can input commands into remote machine. In this way, we will control the remote machine as if we were sitting in front of it.
If we want to save the list of servers connected usually, we must export Windows registry key, because the program does not provide any option to save those list.
The program, in spite of its simplicity, it has a large number of settings and options:
- Save a list of sites that we access regularly. In this way we will not have to type in the address of the server each time that we establish a connection.
- Saving the log session: This option creates a text file with all the commands and actions that have been executed in each session.
- Configure Terminal emulation: we can configure the sequence to be sent by certain keys (backspace, start, end, etc.).
- Configuration of the Terminal window: here we can choose the number of columns and rows of the window's terminal, the number of history lines, the way to copy and paste, text color, background color, and more.
- Connection: In this section we will find settings and advanced parameters that we must modify if we know the meaning of each option.
The program is free and requires no installation. So that we will be able to take it in to a USB device and run it without the need to make an installation.