- Shareaza home
- Operating Systems
- Open Source
Shareaza is a file sharing software that integrates multiple P2P networks on the same interface.
P2P networks allows users to share all kinds of files with each other. This kind of networks do not depend on a central server to allow users to share files, but the users themselves act as server, sharing the downloaded files. This is known as decentralized networks.
Decentralized networks have been popularized in such a way that there are different P2P networking protocols that allow users to share files.
Shareaza comes up with the idea to gather different P2P networks in the same software, in such a way that it is not necessary to install several programs to connect to the different P2P networks. Networks supported by this software are:
- BitTorrent: This file sharing network is characterized by the speed of downloaded files. We will be able to add .torrent files, or “magnet links”.
- eDonkey2000 (ed2k): This network stands out for the large amount of files in it. Download speed is slower than BitTorrent network, but it is more likely we will find what we're looking for in this network.
- Gnutella and Gnutella2: these networks, like ed2k networks, containing a large number of files due to the high number of users who use them.
Share files with different P2P networks at same time has several advantages:
- It is only necessary to open one program to share files, so having a single program opened consumes less Computer memory, and in addition less icons are installed on taskbar, start menu and desktop.
- Files downloaded from different networks, are stored in the same location, so downloads will be well organized.
- The files that we download from one network will be shared on other networks (not at all). Thanks to that, file availability will be increased.
Downloaded files will be classified automatically according to the file type: applications (software), documents, images, music (by album, artist, genre), videos (films, music videos, tv shows) and books.
The program comes with a built-in media player that allows us to preview downloads, and verify that the video file we are downloading contains the expected video.
We can use this software as a download manager on a PC that is on all day, because thanks to “remote access”, we can control the program using a web browser from any part of the world (we need to correctly configure the router to open required ports).
Along with the program comes a series of plug-ins to facilitate the preview of downloaded files. For example we can see a preview of a MS Office and Open Office document, see information and preview downloaded images, see compressed files information(rar, 7z, zip), and more.
Another important plugin is VirusTotal, it will send downloaded files to VirusTotal servers to check the existence of virus.
As a curiosity, the program includes an IRC client, which can be used to talk and interact with the users of the different rooms associated with the program.